Joint offer of Graduate Center and International Center
All doctoral candidates and postdocs (up to two years after completing their doctorate) from abroad
Friday 31 March 2017 4.15 pm - 5.45 pm
Carol Sheehan, Intercultural Communication
Understanding and Getting over Culture Shocks
- Hotspots - gathering your questions
- Cultural iceberg model and cultural blind spots
- Culture shock and remedies
- Moving from a monocultural to a multicultural mindset
Leaving home and your familiar comfort zone to travel to a new country can be a stressful experience especially when you are confronted with different manifestations of culture, e.g. national everyday culture, academic culture and conventions, as well as a different language and communication culture.
Because you and the other participants decide on what issues we discuss and work on, each of these tutorials is unique. Besides discussing issues that are important to you personally, we will also cover topics such as homesickness, culture shock, procrastination, German values and social interaction. Moreover, you can learn from the experience of others in the group who have also been going through similar experiences.
- to develop your intercultural cultural understanding and self-awareness
- to expand your behavioural strategies so that you can successfully handle challenging situations in everyday and academic life
- to provide you, as a PhD candidate, with a clear understanding of how German universities function
Getting to Grips with University Life and Academic Culture
Understanding and Managing Culture-Specific Communication Differences
Socialising and Making Friends
Different Cultures - different Values
Dates: every last Friday in the month, 16:15 – 17:45h, until 28 July 2017
Applications are welcome until 26 March 2017 via our registration portal.